Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review: Biography of Herman Bavinck by Ron Gleason



About a month ago I finished Ron Gleason's biography on Herman Bavinck. This book was published in 2010 by P&R Publishing. For those not familiar with Herman Bavinck (1854-1921) he was a Dutch Reformed Theologian most famous for writing the classic titled Reformed Dogmatics. A brief summary of Bavinck's life can be found here.

I purchased this book recently at the Westminster Bookstore here for $12.00, which is 60% off the original price of $29.99. I had been interested in reading this book for the last year or so and when I saw the discounted price I couldn't resist.

The book gives a thorough account of Herman Bavinck's family life and upbringing and traces his life into adulthood as a pastor, churchman, statesman, and theologian. The book is well written and keeps the reader engaged throughout. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about one who is arguably the greatest Dutch theologian ever.

It is important for us to read biographic accounts of great men of faith and this book certainly deserves a spot on your bookshelf at home or in the office. This book definitely whet my appetite to learn more about Herman Bavinck and one day Lord willing I will make the plunge and pick up his magnum opus Reformed Dogmatics


....when is the last time you read a good book?


No comments:

Post a Comment