Monday, August 20, 2012

Let Us Rejoice and be Glad...We who are in God's Thoughts

Psalm 40:16-17 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified. But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

This morning while sipping a cup of coffee I read through and meditated upon Psalm 40. I have been in the habit lately of using Pigma Micron pens to underline verses of scripture in my bible and among the half dozen or so verses I underlined in this Psalm were the two highlighted above. What an awesome close to the fortieth Psalm!

In verse 16 we read that all those that seek the Lord shall rejoice and be glad and that we should continually praise the Lord and lift up his name. God should be praised continually as it is he that continually pours down blessings upon our heads. If we are not willing to magnify the Lord in all that we do while on earth what makes us think we will want any part of heaven where we are to magnify the Lord for eternity?

Verse 17 contains one of the most amazing truths in all of scripture where it reads "...yet the Lord thinketh upon me" Stop for a second and think about the magnitude of what is written here. The Lord, who is infinitely big and the creator of all that is in existence, actually thinks about us who are so finite and small. We are but specks of dust in the sea of creation yet the Lord thinks upon us! Awesome. Another Psalm that speaks to the thoughts the Lord has towards us is found in Psalm 139:17-18.

Psalm 139:17-18 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. 

I particularly like Albert Barnes' commentary on Psalm 40:17 where he writes: "to be an object of the thoughts of God; to be had in his mind; to be constantly in his remembrance; to be certain that he will not forsake us in our trouble; to be assured in our own minds that one so great as God will never cease to think on us, may well sustain us in all the trials of life."

Let us rejoice and be glad in the Lord and magnify his name always! We who are so poor and needy are in God's thoughts always.

No comments:

Post a Comment